Advantages and Disadvantages
Of course, we at BluWave Boat Rental think there are more pros than cons to rent a boat for most people when it comes to answering this question. If that isn’t true for you, then by all means, buy a boat! Here are some things to consider in this debate:
- Cost of a boat initially – it is a large scale purchase generally, $30K to $100K for new smaller boats.
- How often you will use it? The more it sits around, the more guilty you feel.
- Maintenance – “BOAT – Bust Out Another Thousand” – not your problem in a rental
- Storage – whether in a lot on a trailer or a marina, you have an additional monthly cost from to $60- $200 depending on the size of your boat unless you have the ability to keep it at your home.
- What happens when the kids get tired of it? Things change in our priorities, it may not be the same interest in 5 years but you still have it to deal with.
- Getting it from place to place to place instead of just using one that can be delivered to a marina of your choice…
- Variety is awesome – rentals mean trying different boats like rental cars – maybe a fishing boat this time, a deck boat next time, then a pontoon, etc.
- 92% of the time owned boats are idle – still paying for insurance, storage, maintenance, etc.
There are perks to ownership too:
- Pride of your ride
- Keep all your stuff in the boat instead of hauling it around
- Know all the inner workings of your own machine and equipment
- Available whenever you want it – no reservations
- If you rent all the time, it may be cheaper to own
- Potential of high resale value to recover some of the investment
If you use a highly reputable rental company that maintains their vessels in top order, keeping all the equipment in excellent working order and safe, you will not have to settle for unsafe or broken down rental equipment. If the rental company allows their customers the dignity of not pasting “Rental” signage all over the boat, customers can pull up on the sandbars and into marinas with some pride and not be identified as a renter, especially if the boats are new, clean, and classy in the first place. When you rent, you can try different boats whenever you want, try different locations so you can do activities on your list instead of just having a specific boat type to work with. Renters can also use the boats when they want and remain guilt free when they are too busy or the weather is bad or they just need to prioritize differently for awhile and leave the boat sit. No problem, come back when you are ready.
Renting a boat still gives you the freedom to be your own captain, get out on the Gulf or in the bays, fish, swim, snorkel, cruise the dock-side eating places, or just go watch a sunset from the water without all the worry and issues of owning. The rental company will be responsible to clean it up, maintain it, deliver it, store it, pay for it, and insure it – you just enjoy it!